It is true – sometimes good dogs bite and if your “good boy” does, you can be held liable. Here’s what you should do if you find yourself in this unfortunate situation:
- Make sure the person who was bitten (injured person) gets prompt medical attention.
- Exchange names, addresses and phone numbers.
- Tell the person who was bitten to save medical receipts. Assure them that your insurance agent will contact them.
- Call your agent. Provide him or her with incident information including the name and phone number of the victim. Remember to have your policy number handy.
- Report the dog bite to your local animal control center.